Call: 1-(800)-827-9815 | Need Help?

10 Interesting Facts About Hair

Hair is as amazing and unique as the person it belongs to, therefore, learning the facts about your hair is essential! From stick straight to big and curly, it can be found in all colors, textures, and lengths, and can go through many changes throughout life. Style trends, haircuts, and hair colors all go through transitions and can be drastically unique from one day to the next. Continue reading to learn 10 interesting facts about hair.

Despite all of those differences, hair also has a lot in common too. You may be surprised to discover that deep down, all hair has many details that we all share.

Check out these ten interesting hair facts that are true for almost all hair!

1. The average person has 100,000 – 150,000 strands of hair.


woman flipping her hair - 10 interesting facts about hair

2. On average, you shed around 50-150 strands of hair a day.

Waving bye - hair loss - 1 of 10 interesting facts about hair

3. Hair is the second fastest growing tissue in the body after bone marrow.


4. A healthy strand of hair can stretch an additional 30% when it’s wet.


5. A new hair begins to grow as soon as it is plucked from its follicle.


6. At different times, 90% of hair is growing, while the other 10% is resting.


7. A single hair has a lifespan of about five years.

hairs lifespan - 10 amazing facts about hair

8. A strand of hair is stronger than a copper wire with the same diameter.


9. When we are cold or scared, goosebumps happen when the muscle for each hair strand contracts.

Surprised while learning 10 interesting facts about hair

10. Hair is made up of mostly keratin, the same substance that makes up most of horses hooves, mane, and tail.

keratin - substance that makes up horse hair - 10 interesting facts about hair


Now that you’ve learned 10 interesting facts about hair, remember, while everyone’s hair care routine may be uniquely different and personalized, deep down our hair has many similarities.

Check out Mane ‘n Tail’s unique line of hair products where we have something for everyone!


Shop Mane ‘n Tail shampoos, conditioners, and more!